Pediatric School Nursing Careers
Many nurses find working in schools with children who have chronic and complex medical needs extremely rewarding. A recent Medical Expenditure Panel Study estimated that these children are eight times more likely to see a school nurse than a pediatric health care provider.
This study reinforces how essential school nurses are to the overall health and well-being of students, particularly those with acute and chronic health conditions. Proper care is essential not only for their health and wellness, but to ensure that they can receive the education they deserve without limitations.
ASCS can offer you a rewarding nursing experience that will advance your career while making a difference for those in need. We provide benefits such as major medical, dental, and vision plans as well as a 401(k) plan and licensure reimbursement.
Join our team and start your rewarding career today!
School Nurse Program Training
Action Supportive Care Nursing Services is committed to providing comprehensive training to all of our skilled nursing and health aide staff. This ensures that we are able to offer only the most qualified personnel to our education partners.
Our training includes:
- Specialized healthcare procedures
- Skilled and non-skilled staff training
- Education and training for working in the unique environment of the classroom
- Mandated reporter training for educators and medical personnel
- Managing behaviors and effective strategies for fostering student independence
- Maintaining safety and maximizing participation in the classroom
- Promoting the students' physical, mental, emotional, and social health in the classroom.
Being On the Frontlines of School Nursing Care
Our team works in unison with administrators and credentialed school nurses to establish goals and treatments identified in the student's individualized care plan. The care plan is then applied to the initial and ongoing training of the ASCS staff providing care. This training includes competency and skills validation.
Competency Training - this relates to the core understanding and critical thinking element of nursing care.
Skills Validation - illustrates that the staff member can successfully apply the intervention in practice.
Training is provided to all direct care staff which may include, but is not limited to:
- Management of students with diabetes including
- Administration of insulin
- Blood glucose testing/monitoring
- Glucagon administration
- Carbohydrate counting
- All around reinforcement to students who are trying to achieve independence in their diabetic care
- Seizure management training
- Medication administration
- Nasogastric and enteral feedings
- Implanted devices
- Aspiration precautions
- Respiratory conditions including
- Ventilator management
- Emergency airway protocols
- Routine medication administration
- Bleeding disorders
- Congenital disorders
- Epi-Pen administration
- Behavioral interventions
- Infection control and universal precautions
- All other medical conditions
Additionally, one-to-one mentorship, education, instruction, and supervision is provided by nursing supervisors until the staff member has demonstrated full competency in providing the necessary specialized healthcare procedures.
With our goal of providing the best pool of nursing staff that our partners can tap into, we ensure that all school nurses are trained at the highest level for exceptional student health care.
Always Home Nursing Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status.